Monday, July 6, 2009

Welcome to XNRES

XNRES is now my music blog. Like so many of my past endeavors, I originally started this blog with a different intent, and have now decided to change it altogether before my previous vision could even come into fruition. After my philosophy class last Fall, I simply submerged myself into one of the most diverse, intense, profound adventures into the world of music I've ever experienced. My music library tripled in size, as my hunger for more only increased with every album I devoured.

In the past my favorite topics to blog about were areas in which I felt needed proper analysis and critique. I'm no less critical now than I was then, but have since come to realize that life, and those in my life, have far more to teach me than I them. So I listened.

And this is my solution: a music blog. From now on, what I hear, you hear (that is, if you can stand it). Before I get into the swing of things, I thought it'd be best to offer a little explanation as to how I plan to update this blog.

It's not a podcast.
I decided against yet another revival of JMix, my long-lost podcast, because the editing process is a pain, and I'd rather my audience not be forced to endure my disjointed commentary between every song. Instead, I'll be uploading a .zip folder to Rapidshare, where you can download the file and listen to the songs individually for yourselves. This is the weekly JMix.

It's all about the album.
Individual songs are great, but I'm a strong believer in the importance of listening to an album beginning to end—that is, viewing the work not as a few songs that are good and a few songs that we like less (or perhaps not at all), but as a single work that takes us through high and low points, some expected and others surprising, but all working together to communicate, convey, or portray something. My goal with the weekly JMix is that you, the listener, will be inspired to dig deeper into the artists' work. RIAA, take note!

Look forward to my first musically-oriented post in a few days. Until then, let me know what you think!

1 Comments:

Blogger phred said...

This sounds great... can't wait. My music is stale right now and I know you have all sorts of hidden gems. Love your creativity.

July 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home